This intensely flavored soup, thickened with vegetables, makes good use of broccoli stalks. I save stalks that would otherwise be discarded over a week, then prepare a big pot of soup. It's important to peel the stalks before cooking or they will jam up your sieve when you strain the puree. Pressing the cooked mixture through a sieve creates a wonderfully creamy texture.
- 6 cups small broccoli florets and peeled, chopped stems
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil, ghee or butter for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups tiny broccoli florets for garnish (optional)
- 4 to 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/3 cup ghee or butter
In large pot, heat 1/4 cup oil or 1/3 cup ghee over very low heat. Stir in asafetida if desired, 6 cups broccoli, celery, bell pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, make garnish if desired: In large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over low heat. Add 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
In blender or food processor, puree broccoli-celery mixture in batches with 4 cups broth until as smooth as possible. The smoother the puree, the easier the next step will be.
Place large sieve over soup pot. Strain broccoli puree through it, stirring and pressing out liquid with back of large spoon; scrape underside of sieve periodically. Do not skip this step! It is vital for a creamy texture. Discard any fibrous material that pulls away from sieve.
Reheat soup, covered, over medium heat, thinning with remaining 1 cup broth if necessary. Stir in garnish and season with sugar, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Calories: 252
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 783 mg