- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fennel bulbs; reserve 4 small fronds for garnish
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 12 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups tightly packed, trimmed watercress sprigs
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
1. Heat butter and oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add fennel and onion, and cook 5 minutes, or until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally. Add broth, and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until fennel is very tender. Stir in watercress and cook 30 seconds, or just until wilted.
2. Purée soup in batches in blender until very smooth. Pour soup back into pot and warm over low heat. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Ladle soup into 4 small bowls. Sprinkle each with pinch of crushed fennel seeds, if using. Top with a 1½ tsp. dollop of yogurt, and garnish with fennel fronds.
- Calories: 111
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 138 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g