Culinary school student Shelly Platten came up with this recipe while trying to make a healthier version of her son’s favorite peanut butter cup bars for a care package. Her secret ingredient? Puréed beans. “He didn’t even know the beans were in these bars!” she says.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Eden Foods Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup Florida Crystals Organic Brown Sugar, divided
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Eden Organic Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large Davidson’s Safest Choice Pasteurized Egg
- 11/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Chatfield’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped honey roasted peanuts
1 | Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2 | Pulse oats, flour, oil, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and salt in food processor until crumbly. Press in bottom of prepared pan.
3 | Wipe out food processor, then add peanut butter, beans, and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar; pulse until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, and pulse until blended. Spread peanut butter mixture over crust, and bake 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Turn off oven. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips, and return to oven 2 minutes. Swirl melted chocolate with spoon. Sprinkle with peanuts. Cool, then cut into 12 bars.
- Calories: 319
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 16 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 86 mg
- Sugar Content: 24 g