Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
In this satisfying entrée, pearl couscous stands in for Arborio rice to make a risotto-like dish.
1. Heat 1 1/2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup chopped shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl; add radicchio, 1/3 cup chopped fennel, and vinegar. Set aside.
2. Combine broth, vermouth, and 1 cup water in large measuring cup. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 cups diced shallots, 1 cup diced fennel, and fennel seeds. Sauté 4 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
4. Add couscous to saucepan. Cook and stir 2 minutes (couscous will stick to pan bottom). Add broth mixture. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, 8 to 9 minutes, or until couscous is creamy, stirring occasionally.
5. Mix in 1 Tbs. chopped fennel fronds and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve topped with radicchio mixture and garnished with remaining 1 Tbs. fennel fronds.
- Calories 418
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 237 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g