Paneer, a mild Indian cheese, tops this tasty soup. If you can’t find paneer, substitute cubed fresh mozzarella or tofu.
- 2 Tbs. butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 3 2/3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1-lb. pkg. frozen spinach
- 4 oz. paneer cheese, cubed (1 cup)
1. Heat 1 Tbs. butter in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, curry powder, mustard seeds, and turmeric. Cook 1 minute. Add hash browns and broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, and cook 2 minutes more, or until wilted. Purée with immersion blender until smooth.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add paneer cubes, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Spoon paneer over soup, and serve hot.
- Calories: 264
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 44 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 453 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g