This recipe, by Danielle Sanderson, was awarded "runner up" in VT's 2014 Reader Recipe Contest. One of Danielle Sanderson’s favorite ways to spend a weekend afternoon is trying out new recipe ideas in the kitchen. “I really enjoy creating meatless versions of the traditional comfort foods I grew up on,” she says. “This recipe comes from my love of all things mushroom! The flavors work so well together, and it has become a real favorite with my family.” Serve as a starter for a Mediterranean-themed dinner, or pair it with
a fresh green salad and a glass of wine for a light meal.
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil and 1 tsp. butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half of mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 tsp. minced garlic, and sauté 3 minutes more. Stir in half of tomatoes, and transfer mixture to bowl. Repeat with 2 Tbs. oil and remaining butter, mushrooms, minced garlic, and tomatoes. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in small skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned and fragrant. Stir
4 tsp. pine nuts into cooled mushroom mixture.
3. Brush bread slices with remaining 3 Tbs. oil, rub with garlic halves, and place on baking sheet. Broil bread slices
2 minutes per side, or until toasted. Spread each slice with 11/2 tsp. mascarpone, then top with 3 Tbs. mushroom mixture. Drizzle with truffle oil, and sprinkle with basil and reserved pine nuts.
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 14 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 81 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g