Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
As Creole recipes go, this one is lightly spicy. Feel free to kick it up with extra mustard and Creole seasoning.
1. Coat grill basket or grill pan with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat.
2. Place rice in saucepan, and cover with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black-eyed peas and sweet potato, and cook 8 minutes more. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, arrange bell pepper strips and okra in prepared grill basket or on grill pan. Grill 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly charred and tender, turning once. Add grilled vegetables and chopped mustard greens to bowl with rice mixture.
4. Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, Creole seasoning (if using), and molasses in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then stir into rice mixture.
5. Arrange 1 mustard green leaf on each plate. Top with 11/2 cups rice and beans mixture.
- Calories 347
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 131 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g