Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This dish is assembled like enchiladas, but instead of corn tortillas, the fillings are rolled into crépes.
1. To make Crepas: Whisk together eggs, salt, and 1 cup water in bowl. Whisk in flour. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Swirl 1/4 cup batter in skillet to coat bottom. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, placed paper towel between each Crepa to prevent sticking. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Combine 2 Tbs. oil, cumin, and oregano in bowl; add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Heat skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Cool, and slice each mushroom into 5 strips.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, and spinach. Cooked 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
4. To make Sauce: melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, cheese, and cilantro. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens, whisking constantly. Stir in nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. To assemble: Preheat oven to 350¯F. Ladle 1/4 cup Sauce in bottom or large glass baking dish. Spoon 2 Tbs. spinach mixture onto 1 Crepa. Top with 1 portobello strip, 1 roasted red pepper strip, and 2 Tbs. pepper Jack cheese. Roll up, and place seam-side-down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining Crepas and Filling, packing Crepas tightly together. Top with remaining sauce, and bake 15 minutes. Garnish with avocado and green onions.
- Calories 291
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 76 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 17 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g