If you're a fan of Rice Krispies treats, you'll love these crunchy-chewy bars. They get fiber and iron from whole grain puffed cereal and protein from almond butter.
- 7 cups puffed whole grain cereal
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup raisins or dried blueberries
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 2 Tbs. soy margarine or butter
1. Stir together cereal, dried fruits and cinnamon in large bowl.
2. Place syrup, almond butter and soy margarine in large, microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes on high, or until hot and margarine has melted. Stir well, then pour over cereal mixture. Stir to coat.
3. Dampen hands with cold water. Press cereal mixture firmly into 9x9-inch square baking pan, re-wetting hands if necessary to keep mixture from sticking. Freeze 30 minutes. Cut into 15 bars, and store in refrigerator.
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 20 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g