This recipe is a cool-weather alternative to fresh tomato-topped crostini once tomatoes are no longer in season.
- 1/2 cup dry-pack sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices French baguette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Add sun-dried tomatoes, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain tomatoes, reserving soaking liquid. Blend tomatoes, mayonnaise, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in food processor until tomatoes and rosemary are minced, and mixture is creamy.
2. Roast bell pepper (using tongs) over gas burner 3 to 4 minutes, or until blackened on all sides. Place bell pepper in paper bag, cool until easy to handle, then peel and seed. Cut bell pepper into thin strips, and place in bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Salt corn kernels, if desired, and spread on prepared baking sheet. Roast 10 minutes, or until corn starts to brown. Transfer to bowl with bell pepper strips.
4. Brush both sides of baguette slices with oil, and arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted.
5. Spread 1 Tbs. aïoli on each baguette slice. Divide bell pepper mixture among crostini, and serve.
- Calories: 157
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 213 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g