Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese or a good melting vegan cheese, such as Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternatives (a VT fave), in place of the Gruyère.
- 2 Tbs. coarse-grain mustard
- 8 slices whole-wheat French bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 3 oz. reduced-fat Gruyere cheese, sliced or shredded
- 4 thin slices red onion, rings separated
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
Spread mustard over 4 bread slices. Top each slice with cheese, 1 onion ring, 2 basil leaves, and 2 tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices.
Whisk together milk and egg whites in shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk mixture until liquid is absorbed.
Transfer sandwiches to prepared baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Calories: 274
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 8.5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 764 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g