Frozen hash browns act as a crust for these spicy entrées that can also be made in individual pie dishes for a more quiche-like appearance. Serve with prepared salsa and slices of avocado.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, drained, rinsed and minced, 2 tsp. sauce reserved
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 6 6-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and place on baking sheet. Whisk together 1 egg and 1/4 tsp. salt in medium bowl. Stir in shredded hash brown potatoes. Divide potato mixture evenly among prepared ramekins, pressing down to form crust. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Sprinkle each ramekin with bell pepper, corn, green onions and cilantro. Top with cheese.
3. Whisk together remaining eggs, milk, 3/4 tsp. salt, chiles and adobo sauce in medium bowl. Pour mixture over vegetables in ramekins. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 156
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 223 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 602 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g