- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 firm, ripe plantains, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 1 cup water
- 2 15.25-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup snipped cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 bunch thinly sliced scallions for garnish
1. Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook cubed plantains 4 to 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove from heat.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat, and sauté yellow onion and green pepper 7 to 10 minutes, or until onion turns golden. Add vegetable bouillon, beans, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook 5 minutes more, or until beans are heated through.
4. Spoon rice into large serving bowl or individual soup bowls, top with plantains and vegetables, and garnish with red onion, cilantro, and scallions.
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 610 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g