Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Inspired by the Cuban national dish Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians), this robust meal is complete on its own. Depending on your mood, serve strong, hot Cuban-style coffee or chilled beer.
1. Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook cubed plantains 4 to 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove from heat.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat, and sauté yellow onion and green pepper 7 to 10 minutes, or until onion turns golden. Add vegetable bouillon, beans, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook 5 minutes more, or until beans are heated through.
4. Spoon rice into large serving bowl or individual soup bowls, top with plantains and vegetables, and garnish with red onion, cilantro, and scallions.
- Calories 330
- Carbohydrate Content 62 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 610 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g