Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Bryant Terry is a chef and cookbook author – the man behind some of our favorite titles, like Afro-Vegan and Vegan Soul Kitchen. He is also the chef-in-residence at San Francisco’s Museum of the African Diaspora. In 2021, he launched 4 Color Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House dedicated to collaborating with BIPOC creators; the label published Black Food, edited by Terry, in October. He shared the following recipe for cumin-cayenne mashed potatoes with caramelized onion with Vegetarian Times in 2009.
Cumin-Cayenne Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
“These mashed potatoes are so rich and satisfying, I sometimes just serve them with plain tofu,” Chef Bryant Terry says.
1. Boil potatoes in enough water to cover 25 minutes, or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, sautè onion, oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne in skillet over low heat 30 minutes, or until browned. Stir in rice milk and thyme.
3. Drain potatoes, and mash. Whisk onion mixture into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 277
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 213 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g