Fresh baby artichokes still need to be trimmed of tough outer leaves, but there’s no need to scrape out the choke inside because it will tenderize while cooking. Serve over basmati rice.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 8 oz. fresh baby artichokes, trimmed and quartered, or 1 8-oz. pkg. frozen artichokes, thawed
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 lb. new potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Stir in curry powder, and cook 30 seconds, or until color deepens.
Add artichokes, increase heat to medium-high, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, potatoes, and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until artichokes and potatoes are tender.
Ladle 1/4 cup cooking liquid into small bowl. Whisk mustard into liquid. Return to pot, add peas, and stir to combine. Simmer 3 minutes more, or until peas are bright green and heated through. Sprinkle each serving with mint.
- Calories: 329
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 495 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g