In this clever combination of tastes, red lentils brighten up potatoes spiced with curry powder. Offer it with wedges of warmed pita bread.
- 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 6 large red-skin potatoes
- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt or low-fat yogurt
- 1 to 2 tsp. curry powder to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or more to taste
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
In medium saucepan, combine lentils with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently until water is absorbed and lentils are tender but still firm, about 25 minutes. Drain off any excess cooking liquid and let lentils cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, put potatoes in medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.
In serving bowl, combine lentils and potatoes. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently to mix and coat. Serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 235
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 168 mg