This deliciously easy soup became an immediate favorite among VT staffers. It's even better the second day, after the spices have had more time to mingle.
- 2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 qt. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Bring lentils, vegetable broth, and 4 cups water to a simmer in large pot. Skim away foam that rises to top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add cilantro, curry powder, and cumin, and cook 20 minutes more, or until lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in lemon juice.
- Calories: 283
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 146 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g