Curried Rice and Quinoa Pilaf with Prunes and Pistachios
Prunes can stand in for any dried fruit, as they do in this grain pilaf. (Try them in baked goods too.)…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Prunes can stand in for any dried fruit, as they do in this grain pilaf. (Try them in baked goods too.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup red quinoa
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
1. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add rice and quinoa, and cook until rice begins to turn opaque. Add curry powder, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in 11/2 cups water, add bay leaf, season with salt (if desired), cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 18 minutes, or until grains are tender.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in lentils. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Fold in prunes and pistachios.
- Calories 170
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 3 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g