This soup packs a lot of flavor as well as a lot of eye-protective lutein. Its a favorite recipe because it goes together fast.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts
- 1 Tbs. curry powder, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 small white potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 packed cups (about 4 oz.) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and 1 Tbs. water, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, and stir 30 seconds. Add stock, potatoes and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Cool slightly.
Purée soup in blender until almost smooth; work in batches if necessary. Return soup to saucepan. Add milk, and cook over medium-low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Garnish with swirl of yogurt, if desired, and serve.
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 930 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g