These Indian-inspired fritters also make great hors d’oeuvres—simply use scant 1-tablespoon dollops of the fritter mixture when cooking, and skip the bed of spinach.
To make Fritters:
1. Whisk together eggs, cornmeal, curry powder, and ginger in large bowl. Stir in sweet potato, onion, peas, and poppy seeds, if using. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Heat large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Scoop sweet potato mixture onto hot skillet in 1/4-cup dollops, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and cook 4 to 5 minutes more, or until golden brown on second side. Transfer to plate, and keep warm. Repeat with remaining sweet potato mixture until you have 12 Fritters.
3. Meanwhile, prepare Wilted Spinach: Heat large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add spinach in batches, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until leaves are wilted, but still bright green. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve: Divide spinach among 6 serving plates, and drizzle with lemon juice. Top each serving with 2 Fritters, and garnish each with 1 tsp. mango chutney.
- Calories 197
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 106 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 437 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g