Always rinse canned chickpeas (and other beans) before using to reduce the sodium content and improve their flavor.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 10 to 12 oz. fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs.), peeled and diced
- 16- to 20-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, cover and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine chickpeas, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add spinach, cover and cook just until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Stir in sweet potatoes, cilantro, scallions, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt to taste until well combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Calories: 278
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 392 mg