Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
1. To make Pigeon Peas and Rice: Place pigeon peas in large bowl, cover with 1 1⁄2 inches water, and soak overnight. Drain, and transfer to large saucepan. Cover with 2 inches water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add rice, coconut milk, ginger, and garlic, and 2 cups water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed, adding extra water if necessary. Stir in pigeon peas.
4. Meanwhile, to make Curried Summer Squash: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Stir in curry powder and garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup water, then squash. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes, or until squash is tender.
5. To serve: Spoon 1 cup Pigeon Peas and Rice onto each plate. Top with 1 cup Curried Summer Squash.
- Serving Size serves 4
- Calories 336
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 10 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g