The caramelized sugar syrup that is the base for this decadent chocolate sorbet adds to its depth and richness. There are very few ingredients for the recipe, so the quality of the chocolate and cocoa really count.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 7 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Place sugar in large saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until sugar has melted and caramelized to rich amber color, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in lemon juice (mixture will boil violently for several minutes). Slowly add 2 1/2 cups boiling water, and stir until hardened caramel is dissolved. Stir in cocoa powder and salt, and bring mixture to just under a simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate. Let stand 1 minute, then blend smooth with immersion blender. Transfer to covered container, and refrigerate overnight.
3. Pour sorbet base into ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Calories: 247
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 156 mg
- Sugar Content: 43 g