Make these luscious mouthfuls at the start of the holiday season, then pop them into a resealable plastic bag, store in the freezer, and pull out as a quick dessert for guests.
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs. sugar
1. Toast almonds in skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until light brown. Set aside.
2. Place dates in saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 Tbs. liquid. Transfer to food processor, and purée with reserved liquid until smooth.
3. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Stir in almonds, vanilla, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, almond extract and pinch of salt.
4. Spread coconut on plate. Sift cocoa, sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. cinnamon into bowl.
5. Form date mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll in coconut, and then in cocoa mixture. Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in freezer up to 2 months.
- Calories: 49
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 4 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g