Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These gluten-free treats feature a shortbread-like base that doubles as a streusel topping with the addition of chopped pecans. Be sure to let the bars cool completely before cutting so they hold their shape. If using a baking mix with xanthan gum, be sure to omit it from the recipe. Not a gluten avoider? Swap all-purpose flour for the gluten-free flour, and skip the xanthan gum.
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Simmer dates in 3/4 cup water in saucepan over medium heat 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed and mixture is jam-like. Stir in vanilla, and set aside.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, xanthan gum, if using, and salt in bowl. Whisk together oil, egg, and egg white in separate bowl. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture. Transfer 1/2 cup dough to small bowl, and add pecans; work with fingertips to make crumbly mixture.
4. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared pan. Spread date mixture on top, and sprinkle with pecan mixture. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into 8 bars.
- Calories 416
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 89 mg
- Sugar Content 38 g