Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Try this homemade pizza technique with your favorite toppings.
1. To make Dough: Dissolve brown sugar in ½ cup warm water in large bowl. Stir in yeast, and let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is cloudy and bubbly. Stir in whole-wheat flour, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, flax meal, oil, and salt. Knead 2 minutes while adding ¼ cup flour. Oil separate bowl, and turn dough in oil to coat. Cover, and let rise in warm spot until dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
2. To make Topping: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until kale is softened, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and fennel seed, and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in Neufchâtel cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 475°F. Oil bottom and sides of 12-inch cast iron skillet. With floured hands, pat and stretch Dough over bottom and halfway up sides of skillet. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Spread kale mixture on dough; scatter feta cheese, tomatoes, and oregano on top. Place skillet directly on oven floor, and bake 15 minutes. Remove carefully from oven, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 24 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 566 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g