Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today and save 20%!.
When you think of banana pudding your mind might go to an oversized trifle dish, layered with gloopy pudding and crumbly store-bought cookies. We’ve overhauled the concept here, to create a banana pudding that’s sophisticated, luscious, and actually kind of almost healthy.
You’re going to love the textures at play here. Replacing the soggy box cookies is a sweet oat mixture, and instead of cold lumps of soft banana, we’re giving you caramelized slices, sticky and rich with flavor. To veganize, use vegan butter and swap the whole dairy milk for full-fat coconut.
Caramelized Banana Pudding Parfait
From Clean Eating
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp coconut sugar, oats and oat flour. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1 tbsp butter until a fine crumb is achieved. (Alternatively, rub mixture with your fingers to crush butter into flour mixture.) Spread mixture on a small parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, stir together ½ cup coconut sugar, potato starch and salt. Stir in 3 tbsp milk to form a smooth paste, stirring until no white streaks remain and sugar has dissolved. Whisk in remaining milk and set on medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture begins to thicken, 4 to 5 minutes, then whisk vigorously until large bubbles appear and break on the surface. Continue to cook 1 minute longer, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 1 tbsp butter. Transfer to a bowl and place plastic wrap on the surface; place in fridge until set, 1 hour.
- To serve, slice bananas thinly. In a medium skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp butter until melted and foamy, 1 minute. Add remaining 2 tbsp coconut sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved, 30 to 40 seconds. Add banana slices and cook, flipping once, until golden and covered in syrup, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, divide half of pudding mixture between 6 bowls, top with half of bananas and half of crumble mixture, dividing evenly. Repeat to form a second layer. (MAKE AHEAD: Crumble mixture can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container. Pudding can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Just before serving, prepare caramelized bananas then whisk pudding and assemble as directed.)
- Serving Size 1 parfait
- Calories 286
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 1.5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 128 mg
- Sugar Content 39 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g