In Morocco, both fresh cilantro and dried, ground coriander are used to flavor stews such as this tagine. Try filling a pepper mill with coriander seeds for an original twist on ground pepper.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 12 baby eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Cilantro-Mint Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
1. To make Eggplant Tagine: Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. Add eggplants, coriander, cumin, honey, and red pepper flakes. Sauté 5 minutes, or until eggplants are softened. Add tomatoes, cover,
and simmer 20 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and eggplant is tender. Stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
2. To make Cilantro-Mint Yogurt Sauce: Purée all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Serve tagine warm over steamed couscous or bulgur (or brown rice if avoiding gluten), topped with Cilantro-Mint Yogurt Sauce.
- Calories: 312
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 483 mg
- Sugar Content: 29 g