Dressed up with corn kernels, pre-cooked polenta is a cinch to transform into savory fritters. Serve with your favorite salsa.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (11/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 11/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels, divided
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 18-oz. tube pre-cooked polenta
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 | Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and cumin, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes,
1 cup corn, and lime juice; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 5 minutes, or until heated through. Transfer mixture to covered container, and keep warm. Wipe out skillet.
2 | Meanwhile, crumble polenta into microwave-safe bowl, and mash with fork until nearly smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup corn kernels. Microwave 1 minute to soften polenta. Stir, then add beaten egg, and fold into polenta mixture until smooth.
3 | Coat skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Shape polenta into 8 1/3-cup cakes, gently flattening with palm. Cook corn cakes in two batches in skillet 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Serve corn cakes over black bean mixture.
- Calories: 395
- Carbohydrate Content: 74 g
- Cholesterol Content: 47 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 656 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g