These crispy delights can be served as hors d’oeuvres or as a main dish over brown rice, a bed of sprouts, or napa cabbage with your favorite sweet or savory Asian sauce. Recipe adapted from Tassajara Dinners & Desserts by Dale and Melissa Kent.
- 4 medium fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps julienned
- 2 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbs. mirin or white wine
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 16-oz. pkg. firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup cooked peas
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced green onions
1. Sauté mushrooms with sesame oil, garlic, mirin, and salt 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender and fragrant. Remove from heat, and stir in tofu. Let cool.
2. Fill large pot with 1 inch vegetable oil and heat to 350°F. Mix eggs carrots, peas, and green onions into tofu mixture.
3. Gently form golf-ball-size spheres, and drop into heated oil. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown, then place on cooling rack to drain. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 71 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 202 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g