Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These crispy delights can be served as hors d’oeuvres or as a main dish over brown rice, a bed of sprouts, or napa cabbage with your favorite sweet or savory Asian sauce. Recipe adapted from Tassajara Dinners & Desserts by Dale and Melissa Kent.
1. Sauté mushrooms with sesame oil, garlic, mirin, and salt 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender and fragrant. Remove from heat, and stir in tofu. Let cool.
2. Fill large pot with 1 inch vegetable oil and heat to 350°F. Mix eggs carrots, peas, and green onions into tofu mixture.
3. Gently form golf-ball-size spheres, and drop into heated oil. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown, then place on cooling rack to drain. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Calories 191
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 71 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 202 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g