Duchesse potatoes are egg- and cheese-spiked mashed potatoes that are piped into swirly shapes using a pastry bag, then baked in the oven so you get a crispy exterior and a creamy interior. They’re great for a crowd because the potato mixture can be made up to a day ahead,…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Duchesse potatoes are egg- and cheese-spiked mashed potatoes that are piped into swirly shapes using a pastry bag, then baked in the oven so you get a crispy exterior and a creamy interior. They’re great for a crowd because the potato mixture can be made up to a day ahead, then shaped and baked just before serving. If you don’t have a pastry bag, use a small ice cream scoop and the back of a spoon to shape the potato mounds.
- 4 russet potatoes (21/2 lb.), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) softened unsalted butter, plus 2 Tbs. melted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1. Place potatoes in large pot, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 18 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain well, then push potatoes through ricer into bowl. Stir in softened butter. Whisk together milk and eggs in separate bowl. Stir potato mixture into egg mixture. Fold in cheese until melted and smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray. Scoop potato mixture into pastry bag fitted with star tip, then pipe 20 rosette-shaped mounds of potatoes 21/2 inches wide in diameter and 11/2 inches high onto prepared baking sheet.
3. Whisk paprika into 2 Tbs. melted butter, and gently brush or drizzle butter over top of each rosette. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust oven heat to broil, and broil potatoes 1 minute for extra color, if desired. Serve hot.
- Calories 97
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 51 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g