Sharon Balestra of Bloomfield, N.Y., who contributed this Reader Recipe, is starting her own business selling homemade Dutch cookies. From the taste of these, she’s sure to be successful.
1. Stir together flours, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and pepper in bowl.
2. Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer in separate bowl until smooth. Add brown sugar and honey; beat until smooth. Fold in egg.
3. Knead flour mixture into butter mixture with hands until smooth. Fold in almonds. Cover, and chill 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide dough into 4 balls. Roll 1 ball to 1/4-inch thickness on well-floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters; transfer cookies to ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are golden. Cool on wire rack. Decorate with icing, glaze, or sprinkles.
- Calories 156
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 57 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g