Baked beans were meant to be doctored up to suit a cook’s taste, so feel free to make these with more or less sugar, a spicier salsa or mustard, and add-ins such as soy sausage or soy hot dogs.
- 11/2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. jar medium salsa
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. yellow mustard
1. Soak beans in 6 cups water overnight. Drain; reserve soaking liquid.
2. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat over low heat. Add onions, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until browned. Stir in 1 cup soaking liquid. Simmer 5 minutes, scraping up onion bits stuck to pot.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients and 5 cups water. Cover, and cook 1½ hours. Uncover; simmer 1 hour more, or until sauce has thickened.
- Calories: 166
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 566 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g