Healthy homemade pizza crust and sauce are easier than you think! Here, the crust lets you sneak whole-wheat flour and flaxseeds into a kids’ favorite, while the 3-ingredient sauce keeps things simple and healthful. For extra slumber-party fun, prepare the dough and sauce, then put the toppings in bowls so kids can decorate their own pies. Just be sure to have extra veggies available so they can snack while they create.
- 1 0.25-oz. pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 24-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 basil leaves, optional
1 To make Crust: Combine 1½ cups hot water (105–115˚F), yeast, and sugar in large bowl, electric-mixer bowl, or food-processor bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and knead 10 minutes by hand,
5 minutes with mixer dough hook, or 2 to 3 minutes in food processor, or until dough holds together in a ball and is no longer sticky when touched.
2 Transfer dough to large bowl coated with oil, cover with clean dish towel or plastic wrap, and let rise 1 hour in warm place, or until doubled in size.
3 To make Sauce: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool.
4 Preheat oven to 425˚F. Divide Crust dough into 2 rounds, and flatten into 10-inch disks with rolling pin or your hands. Transfer to 2 baking sheets, and add Toppings. Bake Pizza 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted and Crust is golden brown.
- Calories: 273
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 259 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g