This Easy Vegan Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Is Pure Comfort
This comforting, easy vegan tomato soup recipe gets a wonderful boost of protein from white beans and is the perfect lunch or dinner with our vegan grilled cheese sandwich.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This tomato soup is so rich and comforting your kids will never know it’s vegan.
Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or simply want to boost your diet with more plant-based foods, our course, Easy Vegan Meals will help you cook delicious, nourishing meals that your whole family will love. Join registered dietician Lauren McNeill for this practical course that gives you the foundation and the inspiration to incorporate more plant-based foods into your regular diet – from no-nonsense nutrition basics to quick, easy and delicious recipes that your whole family will love.
This recipe is just one of the simple but healthy meals you’ll learn to make. Plus, you’ll learn nutrition basics and discover easy ways to win over picky eaters.
This class is available exclusively for Outside+ members. Already signed up? Click here to start cooking.
If you’re not yet a member, there’s never been a better time to join. Sign up today to enjoy this class, plus gain access to all our content, and so much more.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, optional
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup cooked white beans
Grilled cheese (cut into cute shapes)
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 2 slices Whole wheat bread
- 2 slices (about 40g) Vegan cheese of choice (Earth Island, Daiyo, Chao, etc.)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and sugar, and cook 1 minute, or until tomato paste darkens. Stir in diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed white beans, bouillon cube (if using), balsamic vinegar, thyme, and 4 cups water. Cover pan, bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and blend soup with immersion blender or in blender or food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spread vegan butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, on pan over medium heat. Add vegan cheese on top, and add another slice of bread on top of vegan cheese, butter side up.
- Add cover and cook over medium heat until golden brown (about 4-5 minutes). Flip and repeat on other side.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut grilled cheese into whatever shapes you desire!