Combining green cabbage with Swiss chard adds sweetness and color to this homey recipe. Season with salt at the end of cooking to keep the cabbage from turning soggy.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. egg noodles
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 tsp.)
- 1 head green or savoy cabbage, quartered, cored, and sliced into 1-inch-wide pieces (8 cups)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, large stems removed, leaves sliced into 1-inch-wide pieces (8 cups)
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/8 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
1. Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add cabbage and Swiss chard. Stir to coat with onion and garlic mixture. Add broth and vinegar, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until cabbage has softened. Stir in noodles and remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in caraway seeds and cracked peppercorns; season with salt, if desired.
- Calories: 246
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 27 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 168 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g