Tumbet, a vegetable dish from Majorca, Spain, is traditionally made by frying vegetables in olive oil, then baking them in a tomato sauce. This version skips the frying to cut down on fat, includes chickpeas for protein, and gets a crumpled phyllo topping for wow factor.
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds more.
2. Add tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, and chickpeas. Stir tomato paste and oregano into 1 cup warm water, then stir into eggplant mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are almost done. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread eggplant mixture in deep 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
4. Unroll phyllo, and keep under damp towel to retain moisture. Spread 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and coat well with cooking spray. Crumple into loose ball, and place atop eggplant mixture. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets until eggplant mixture is covered with phyllo crumples. Thoroughly coat top of casserole with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Bake 25 minutes, or until phyllo is golden-brown and crispy. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 313 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g