The eggplant takes on a buttery flavor and a tender texture with this cooking method. You can make the vegetable filling ahead of time, and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Reheat before serving.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus more for brushing tortillas
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cups peeled and diced eggplant
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 9 cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely shredded jalapeno-flavored Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 9-inch low-carb tortillas
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté for 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add eggplant, garlic and salt, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes more, stirring well. Stir in cheese, and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Toast tortillas on one side in a dry skillet over medium-high heat just until golden. Divide filling onto toasted side of tortillas, and roll up. Toast filled tortillas in skillet, turning once, until golden and crisp, for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 920 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g