Oven-frying the eggplant slices makes a succulent dish that has only 9 grams of fatinstead of 20 or more.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 2 baking sheets and 8x11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk egg whites with 3 Tbs. water in bowl until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices into egg whites, then coat with breadcrumb mixture and arrange on baking sheets.
Bake until golden; turn; bake until golden again, about 30 minutes total.
Stir basil into marinara sauce. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in baking dish. Top with half of eggplant, slightly overlapping slices. Cover with 1 cup of sauce; sprinkle with half of mozzarella. Cover with remaining eggplant, and top with remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.
- Calories: 247
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 752 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g