Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Slender Japanese eggplant comes in a perfect single-serving size and needs no salting before you cook it. Try different pasta sauces for a variety of flavor results.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat small baking dish with cooking spray, and spread with 2 Tbs. spaghetti sauce.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in shallow bowl. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Cook slices in single layer in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until light brown. Place half of eggplant slices in single layer in prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. mozzarella and 1 tsp. Parmesan. Discard remaining egg and breadcrumbs.
3. Place remaining eggplant slices, remaining sauce, and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over eggplant in dish. Sprinkle with dried basil. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown, or microwave 5 minutes, turning baking dish halfway through cooking time to heat evenly.
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 119 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 430 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g