Extra ricotta filling from this easy recipe makes a great sandwich spread and pasta sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- 1 eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups marinara or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
Filling: In food processor, purée all filling ingredients. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
If desired, salt eggplant slices and let sit 30 minutes. Rinse, drain and blot dry.
Lightly spray nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray; arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on sheet. Broil eggplant 2 to 3 inches from heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread about 1/2 cup marinara sauce on 9 x- 12-inch baking dish. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons ricotta filling in center of each eggplant slice; roll. Arrange rolls in baking dish, seam-side down. Top rolls with remaining sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until eggplant is tender and heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Calories: 308
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 24 mg