What began as a typical Saturday breakfast among Jews from Iraq is now considered by many to be Israel’s most popular sandwich after falafel. To keep it light and easy, this recipe focuses on broiled sliced eggplant, but feel free to add sliced, boiled potatoes; sliced hard-boiled eggs; and/or sliced…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
What began as a typical Saturday breakfast among Jews from Iraq is now considered by many to be Israel’s most popular sandwich after falafel. To keep it light and easy, this recipe focuses on broiled sliced eggplant, but feel free to add sliced, boiled potatoes; sliced hard-boiled eggs; and/or sliced baked tofu for a heftier sandwich.
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4 lb.), sliced into 3/8-inch rounds
- 2 1/2 tsp. olive oil, for brushing
- 4 Tbs. prepared hummus
- 4 pita rounds or crusty French or Italian rolls, such as ciabatta rolls (each about 3 oz.)
- Hot pepper relish, such as zehug, or other hot sauce to taste, optional
- 4–8 slices pickled mango, such as amba, or other spicy pickles, optional
- 1/4 cup tahini, stirred well
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
Diced vegetable salad
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced (1 cup)
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped red or other onion
1. To make Sandwich: Preheat broiler. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush eggplant with 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Broil 4 minutes, flip with spatula, brush with remaining 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and broil 4 minutes more, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, to make Tahini Sauce: Stir together tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and 3 Tbs. water in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To make Diced Vegetable Salad: combine all ingredients in medium bowl.
4. To serve: Divide eggplant slices, hummus, and Diced Vegetable Salad among pitas. Drizzle with Tahini Sauce, and garnish with hot relish, if using. Serve with more Tahini Sauce on the side, and pickled mango slices, if using.
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 545 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g