Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
What began as a typical Saturday breakfast among Jews from Iraq is now considered by many to be Israel’s most popular sandwich after falafel. To keep it light and easy, this recipe focuses on broiled sliced eggplant, but feel free to add sliced, boiled potatoes; sliced hard-boiled eggs; and/or sliced baked tofu for a heftier sandwich.
1. To make Sandwich: Preheat broiler. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush eggplant with 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Broil 4 minutes, flip with spatula, brush with remaining 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and broil 4 minutes more, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, to make Tahini Sauce: Stir together tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and 3 Tbs. water in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To make Diced Vegetable Salad: combine all ingredients in medium bowl.
4. To serve: Divide eggplant slices, hummus, and Diced Vegetable Salad among pitas. Drizzle with Tahini Sauce, and garnish with hot relish, if using. Serve with more Tahini Sauce on the side, and pickled mango slices, if using.
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 545 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g