30 minutes or fewer
This Mediterranean-flavored sandwich comes with a bonus: The red pepper-yogurt sauce can also be used as a topping for steamed or grilled veggies.
Red Pepper-Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 7-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 1 firm medium-sized eggplant (about 3/4 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups arugula, washed, dried
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 6 whole wheat pita pockets
To make Red Pepper-Yogurt Sauce: Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, peppers, basil and garlic to blend in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
To make Sandwiches: Preheat broiler. On rack of broiler pan, arrange eggplant slices in one layer, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Broil eggplant about 4 inches from heat, turning once, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
Toss together arugula, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste in bowl.
Spread pita pockets with Red Pepper-Yogurt Sauce. Fill each with eggplant and arugula, and top with more sauce, if desired.
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 410 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g