Choose cylindrical eggplants for this recipe so they are easy to cut into uniform slices.
- 1 medium white onion, sliced (11/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 lb. plum tomatoes
- 5 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 globe eggplants, unpeeled, cut into 24 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, drained
- 4 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled queso fresco
1. Preheat broiler. Spread onion slices and garlic cloves on broiler pan, and broil 90 seconds, or until garlic is slightly charred. Transfer garlic to bowl, and broil onion 2 minutes more. Transfer onion to bowl with garlic.
2. Put tomatoes on broiler pan. Broil 3 minutes, or until charred on top. Flip, and broil 2 minutes more, or until charred.
3. Reduce oven heat to 450°F. Brush 2 baking sheets with 1 Tbs. oil each. Place eggplant slices on baking sheets in single layer, and brush with remaining 3 Tbs. oil. Bake 10 minutes, flip, then bake 5 minutes more, or until tender.
4. Pulse broiled onion and garlic in food processor. Halve tomatoes, add to food processor with chipotle chiles, and purée until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in 2 Tbs. cilantro.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Spread 12 eggplant slices with 1 Tbs. salsa each. Press 1 Tbs. queso fresco atop salsa. Top with remaining eggplant slices and 1 Tbs. salsa per stack. Bake 5 minutes. Top each stack with 1 Tbs. cheese, and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve remaining salsa on side.
- Calories: 132
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 75 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g