Salting eggplant before cooking draws out excess moisture and tames any bitterness. If you cannot find hominy, simply substitute canned chickpeas or pinto beans.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants (about1 lb. each), halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
- 1 15-oz. can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup soy "meat" crumbles
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 375F. Scoop seeds from centers of eggplant halves, leaving shell about 1/2-inch thick around the sides. Sprinkle generously with salt, and let sit 10 minutes.
Mix salsa, hominy, crumbles, breadcrumbs and cilantro in medium bowl. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
Rinse salt off eggplant halves; pat dry with paper towels. Fill with hominy mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
Place stuffed eggplants in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add 1/2 inch water to dish, and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, or until stuffing is hot and eggplants are tender. Uncover, and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is browned. Serve hot.
- Calories: 321
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1000 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g