Enjoy this hearty eggplant dish over hot, cooked orzo, whole wheat couscous or fluffy millet. Or serve it with some crusty bread to sop up the juices.
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, halved and cut into thin slices
- 2 medium-sized red bell peppers, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 medium-sized eggplant (about 1 lb.), trimmed and diced (about 5 cups)
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Preheat oven to 350F. Warm 1 Tbs. oil in 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes, or until onions are golden. Stir in garlic, fennel seeds and oregano, and cook 1 minute. Transfer to bowl.
Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add eggplant, and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes and onion-pepper mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover casserole and bake 50 minutes. Top with feta cheese and mint, and serve.
- Calories: 145
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 7 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 341 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g