Instead of serving this over rice or pasta, try it wrapped in warmed pita bread with a sprinkling of feta cheese. If you cant find the slender Japanese eggplant, just substitute
regular eggplant thats been peeled and cut into cubes.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, cut into 1-inch slivers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium-sized Japanese eggplant (about 1 lb. total), halved and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 8 oz. Italian-seasoned baked tofu, cubed
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved and sliced
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add garlic, eggplant, tofu, fennel, bell pepper and oregano, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until eggplant is tender and slightly browned. Stir in tomato slices, salt and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 more minutes, or until tomatoes are heated through. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 135 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g