We gave yakitori, a Japanese grilled chicken dish, a veg makeover using eggplant and fresh pineapple.
- 16 11/2-inch chunks fresh pineapple
- 3–4 small Italian or Japanese eggplants, sliced into 16 rounds
- 1/4 cup vegetarian yakitori or teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tsp. black and white sesame seeds
1 | Preheat grill to medium-high.
2 | Combine pineapple, eggplant, and yakitori sauce in shallow dish; toss to coat. Marinate 20 minutes at room temperature.
3 | Remove pineapple and eggplant from marinade, and brush away any excess with pastry brush. Thread 2 pineapple chunks and 2 eggplant rounds in alternating pattern onto eight 10-inch skewers. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
4 | Grill skewers 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until eggplant is tender and beginning to caramelize. (Lower heat if necessary to prevent burning.) Sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds, and serve.
- Calories: 54
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 175 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g